When is the best time to visit Bali
Bali is a great destination all year round. Each season offers its benefits and disadvantages. You can determine when to visit Bali by knowing what to expect during each season.
Campuhan Ridge Walk, Ubud
Bali is technically located in the Southern Hemisphere, below the Equator (to be precise, 8 degrees south of the Equator). The seasons in the Southern Hemisphere are the opposite of those in the Northern Hemisphere.
Bali, however, has a warm tropical climate all year. The seasons are less dramatic in Bali than they would be, say, in New Zealand.
The temperature in Bali stays the same over the year. In Bali, the two distinct seasons are the wet season and the dry period. Also known as the busiest tourism season and even more active tourism season.
You want to go during the dry seasons. The answer to this question is a little more complex than you might think.
As with any destination, weather can be unpredictable.
This begs the question…
What is the best time to visit Bali in the year?
You’ll find the most comfortable weather in the dry season peak, which is June to August. Avoid visiting the area during the December holidays, as it is not only the peak rainy season but also a time when crowds are heavy.
We would recommend visiting Bali in the shoulder months of May, June, or September to avoid rain and crowds. More on that later…
As with any question of this kind, there isn’t a correct answer. Bali is a great destination for digital nomads and vacationers all year long. Each season has unique benefits (and disadvantages as well).
You can decide the best time to visit Bali by comparing the pros and cons for each season.
Start by answering these questions:
- Would you mind some rain?
- Do you get easily annoyed by crowds of people?
- Do you suffer from high humidity?
- Do You prefer to spend time outdoors, hiking and biking?
- Do you enjoy water sports like scuba diving and surfing?
You can determine the best time to visit Bali by answering these questions.
Scroll down to find the section that you’re looking for.
- Our experience at Bali
- Bali geography overview
- Bali Weather
- The dry season in Bali
- Rainy season in Bali
The BEST time to visit Bali
Want a quick recommendation? See our personal recommendations for the best times to visit Bali. We’ll also share the times of year that we would avoid visiting Bali.
- Our opinion…
Our experience in Bali
We visited Bali multiple times during the spring, summer, and fall months
- In 2023 the rainy season lasted a little longer than usual, but there was still sunshine every day.
- In March, it was much more humid than in April
- It was an unusual experience to observe Neyepi in Bali, as we were not allowed to leave our homes after dark and could not turn on the light.
Were you able to visit Bali in the spring?
Mostly, yes. If you don’t mind some rain and humidity, then visiting in the shoulder season will mean fewer crowds. Bali has a wide range of activities that are fun all year long.
- Summer months were dry and warm with lots of sunshine
- Ocean temperatures are higher in winter and spring.
- In Amed, we were able to dive with a shorty suit
- Traffic can be chaotic in the popular tourist hubs of Canggu and Ubud during summer.
Bali in summer is a great place to visit.
Yes! Bali’s weather is best in the summer months. The summer months are more crowded (mostly Australians fleeing winter in Australia), but it is worth it to enjoy the best possible weather.
- The dry season ends in October, and the humidity increases until the rainy season begins (normally November to April).
- We didn’t experience any significant increase in humidity during our stay between August and November.
- During our stay, we enjoyed clear skies and temperatures that were perfect for the beach.
- We left Bali in mid-November for a visit to New Zealand, so we missed out on the rainy season.
- The fall foreigner crowds were mostly digital nomads or expats. You’ll see more people on vacation in the summer.
Bali in autumn?
Early fall is a good time to visit. Avoid the rainy season by visiting between September and mid-November.